I don’t claim to be a fashionista. What I have mastered, though, is the fashion basics. I’ve got a collection of wardrobe staples that act as anchors for my favorite outfits. They may be seen as supporting roles in the credits of fashion, but these pieces are what hold a closet together. Keep reading to find out what 10 wardrobe staples you should keep in your closet at all times.
Click the + button to find the product online!
1. Little Black Dress | The classic closet must-have, the little black dress can go with you anywhere. It’s a great go-to for special occasions that you can dress up or down with the help of accessories. One of the most versatile pieces you’ll own, the LBD is a timeless staple. I like swing dresses since they tend to be flattering across many body types.
2. Black Leggings | Full disclosure: I am the type of person who wears leggings as pants. With that said, the Lauren Conrad Solid Leggings are the only ones I’ll buy because they’re thick and opaque. They don’t fall apart in the wash, and they’re not see through. Dress them casual with a tee or chambray shirt, or dress them up with a nice blouse and heels.
3. Perfect-For-You Jeans | Having a pair of jeans that make you feel amazing is so important! I think straight leg jeans are pretty timeless and go beyond trends, and are flattering on frames thick and thin. Go with jeans that aren’t ripped to expand the possibilities.
4. Chambray Shirt | I’ve recently jumped on the chambray shirt trend, and I think it’s more than just a fad. A chambray shirt can add style to the most simple looks. Wear it over a camisole for an easy top pairing, or with a skirt to dress it up for brunch. It’s just as versatile as jeans.
5. Black Ballet Flats | An every day pair of ballet flats can take you far. They can be worn with casual, business, or dressy attire and let the rest of your outfit do the talking. My black flats are my most-worn pair of shoes since they match everything.
6. Beige Pumps | Similarly to the ballet flats, a good pair of beige pumps are the most versatile heels you can own. The neutral color lets you pair them with almost anything. Wear them with jeans to dress up an outfit or with a formal gown at your most special event.
7. Nude Convertible Bra | Finding your perfect nude bra will change your world! Especially when it’s convertible, you’ll want to wear it with every outfit. Find a shade that matches your skin tone closely for a truly invisible look under sheerer clothing. It’ll also be less of a statement if it peeks out from under your clothes.
8. V-Neck T-Shirt | I’m not too proud to admit that I own about 5 of the same v-neck t-shirts in different colors. When you find the one that fits you perfectly: loose enough to lounge in but fitted enough to wear out and style more elaborately, don’t pass it up!
9. Maxi Dress | During summer, I cherish the maxi dress wardrobe staple. It’s such an easy one-and-done piece that doesn’t need a whole lot to make look special. Plus, you can throw it on to look put together, even if you haven’t shaved in two weeks (yup, totally me.)
10. Classic Purse | A day-to-night purse is essential for any wardrobe. I personally hate having to switch bags depending on the occasion or outfit. I’m currently carrying the Midi Tote in Onyx by Dagne Dover. It’s a rich black with gold accents that looks great whether I’m in a t-shirt and jeans, or a night out look.
What wardrobe staples do you think are essential?