Sponsored by Kroger. All opinions my own.
So, I’ll admit. I pretty much went through summer in a topknot. But now that Fall is approaching, I’m taking the opportunity to be a little bit more creative with my hair. I want to start exploring new styles that are fun, but easy and achievable even if I’m on my way out the door.
After deep diving on Pinterest and trying out a ton of new styles, these four have become my faves to do on myself. They’re pretty simple once you know how to do dutch braids and fishtail braids, and take simple styles like waves and ponytails to the next level.
After sharing my hair care routine for colored hair last week, I wanted to find something a little bit more budget-friendly to recommend for dry and damaged hair. I turned to a brand that I trust, OGX, and explored their new Coconut Miracle Oil line aimed to deliver extra strength hydration to help repair hair for a silky finish. I was blown away in just one use— I couldn’t stop petting myself! I picked up both the Shampoo and Conditioner at my local Kroger store while doing my grocery shopping. Heads up: Kroger has some awesome beauty events where you can score major savings on the products you already love. In fact, from September 5th through 18th, you can save $5 instantly when you spend $15 on popular cosmetics, hair care and skin care from brands like OGX, Maybeline, L’Oreal, Revlon and Neutrogena!
This particular shampoo and conditioner duo made my hair much more manageable and easy to style, and the shine makes these styles look all the more polished.
Style 1 // Mohawk Braid
This is a twist on a half up half down hairstyle where a dutch braid down the middle creates a mohawk effect. This style is perfect with some loose waves, or even pulled up into a topknot.
1. Pick up a section at the middle of your hairline, about 3-4 inches wide. Divide into 3 sections.
2. Start a dutch braid. Compared to a french braid, instead of pulling strands over the middle, you pull them under. Pick up hair as you braid and continue down the top of your head.
3. When you get to the crown, tie off the braid with an elastic. You can tug at the braid to make it look fluffier at this point.
4. Wear as is, add some loose waves, or pull your hair into a topknot!
Style 2 // Braided Side Ponytail
This twist on a classic side ponytail adds a bit more style to step up a simple look.
1. Create a deep side part. On the side with most hair, grab a large section about an inch back from the hairline and start a dutch braid.
2. As you incorporate more hair, be sure to pick up strands from the hairline.
3. When you get just below the ear, tie off the braid with an elastic.
4. Leaving one strand out, sweep the rest of your hair into a low ponytail.
5. Wrap the strand around the elastic to conceal it, and use a bobby pin to secure the hair in place.
Style 3 // Knotted Low Ponytail
This may be easier if you’re (k)not the best with braids. (See what I did there!?!) It’s just like tying your shoes, and adds a pretty cool effect to make a ponytail more stylish.
1. After parting your hair down the middle, grab a section of hair from each side and pull to the back of the head.
2. Tie your hair in a single knot, like the first step of tying your shoes.
3. Incorporate more hair to each side, and repeat the steps all the way down your head, as many times as you can.
4. When you get to the nape of the neck, tie off the rest of the hair in a low ponytail, leaving one strand out.
5. Wrap the remaining strand around the elastic and secure with a bobby pin.
Style 4 // Boho Half Up Half Down Fishtail Braids
Love how carefree yet intricate this style is, but it’s so easy to recreate!
1. Part your hair in the middle. Starting on one side, create a fishtail braid. This is done by taking two sections, then pulling a strand from the outside of one section and placing it on the inner side of the opposite section. Watch the video for clarification. Be sure to incorporate a little more hair (like french braiding) as you start it off.
2. Once you get to about the top of the ear, finish off the fishtail without incorporating any more hair.
3. Tie off at the bottom with an elastic, and repeat on the other side of the head.
4. Layer the pieces in back of your hair however you wish! I pinned one piece down straight across, then the other right on top, and then tucked the ends in with pins.
These braided hairstyles are definitely going to be on rotation for me this fall, when I want to do something more fun than just wearing my hair down or in a simple pony. Especially as it starts to get windy, these are creative ways to get my hair out my face in a fashionable way!
If you want to recreate these looks, along with the rest of your Fall beauty routine, be sure to take advantage of the Kroger sale to stock up on your favorite products.
What’s your go-to fall hairstyle?
My Nail Polish Obsession
Love your purple hair! Wish my hair was long so I could do these, I’m in a growing out stage, boo.
That shampoo smells SO good! Also all of these styles are so cute!
I do a lot of these on myself! Love the braided look for Fall!
Love the color and the styles are perfect for cooler weather when you want to wear your hair down more.
OMG I love these! I’m going to try the mohawk braid style this weekend!
Love the purple! I just bought that shampoo and conditioner, but haven’t tried them yet.
Super love your new hair color! Great hair inspo’s
I love braided looks but I fail at French and Dutch braids. I wish I had the skills.
I love the knotted low ponytail! How pretty! This is when I miss having long hair….but then I’ll get the chop soon and be content with my hair, lol! OGX is great too although I’ve not tried the Coconut Miracle Oil line yet.
omg your hair looks amazing!! I’ve always thought your hair was pretty but something about the blue and purple just really pops with your skintone. I confess I’ve never tried to braid but you make it seem like it would be easy…….and yet…..I love the knotted one. If I was more coordinated, I’d try it but I’ll be pinning this for later.
Kristi V BeginNails
My inner hippy loves the Boho Half Up Half Down Fishtail Braids <3 Great tutorials!
I have been trying to wear a braid since my hair has finally grown out again. I will have to give these a try to spruce up my fall looks!
You’ve got magnificent hair. I’ve never been able to make a braid ever. My mother never braided my hair so my genes are lacking. I’ve tried to do some on my granddaughter and can’t. I guess that’s why I had sons and not daughters.
I have hair envy! Both in your hair color and length. Purple suits you!
Love this braided hairstyle! Now if only my hair would grow out a little more so I could rock it! 😉
I love the half one! My hair is super fine and I want to pull these off so bad, but I have the hardest time braiding it :/
Never Say Die Beauty
I love these braided ‘dos! I never learned to do a fishtail but i’ll Look it up