Did I accidentally create the next annoying Instagram makeup trend? Meh, I don’t know if I can give myself that much credit but I may be on to something here!
On July 4th, I was really trying to nail a perfect red lip look. I was playing with manipulating my lip shape, overdrawing to look more round with a sharp cupids bow. I was literally working on it for such a long time, I had to take a break after I was done with my top lip. I thought it looked fun, so I snapped a photo and uploaded it to my Instagram story.
Well, little did I know people would take it seriously and actually love it…? I got several DMs from followers who liked the look, and wanted to see more of it. The more I looked at the picture, the more it started to grow on me as a daring look you might see on the runway.
And thus, the bare bottom lip trend was born! Consisting of a bold top lip and bare or nude bottom lip, this extreme color blocking puts your cupid’s bow in the spotlight. I personally love the look with a classic red shade on top, but you can swap it out for any bright color that will stand out against the neutral bottom lip. You might want to stay away from browns or blacks, though, as it could end up looking like a mustache!
Watch the video above to see how I created the full look.
- NYX Hydra Touch Primer
- Sephora Bright Future Color Corrector
- Milani Conceal+Perfect 2-in-1 Foundation
- e.l.f. HD Lifting Concealer
- City Color Cosmetics Tinted Brow Gel (use code SlashedBeauty for 10% off)
- e.l.f. Best Friends Duo in Tea for Two
- Physicians Formula Glide On Gel Liner
- Jesse’s Girl Liquid Liner
- Prestige My Biggest Lashes Mascara
- Pixi Natural Contour Powder
ColourPop x Hello Kitty Super Shock Blush (LE — Similar)
- e.l.f. HD Highlighting Powder in Sunset Glow
- Jesse’s Girl Matte Color Liquid Lipstick in Sultry
- Make Up For Ever Artist Liquid Matte Lipstick in 101
I’m not one to create super out-of-the-box looks, but this was an easy way to step out of my comfort zone and try something new. Will the bare bottom lip trend go viral? Who knows… but at least I challenged myself, and I’m inspired to break more beauty boundaries!